Meetings, news, events, and updates from the Central City Neighborhood Association.
Info from http://birminghamalcitycouncil.org:
During the Birmingham City Council Meeting on Tuesday, April 9, 2013, Council:
1. Following a public hearing, approved a Resolution amending the conceptual plan for Oxmoor Mixed Use District IV (Case Z-14-93) in order to change the MXD/Residential designation to MXD/Employment Center designation with Commercial Use Group 2 and Open Space, filed by Peter Allsopp, representing the owner, United States Steel Corporation, for properties located at 2800 Goss Street; 1951 and 1991 Lakeshore Parkway, and 1900 Peck Road, and situated primarily in the SW¼ of Section 32, Township 18-S, Range 3 West.
2. Delayed for one (1) week a Resolution approving payment to Birmingham Jefferson County Animal Control, Birmingham, in the amount of $63,389.02 per month to extend the current animal control services contract for the period beginning April 1, 2013 through April 30, 2013. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Johnathan Austin at 254.2678.
3. Set a public hearing April 30, 2013 to consider the possible revocation of the business licenses issued to LaToya McKinley-Young d/b/a LL Entertainment, L.L.C., Encore Ultra Lounge, 1631 1st Avenue North, Birmingham.
4. Set a public hearing May 14, 2013 to consider the endorsement of Induron Protective Coatings, 3333 Richard Arrington Blvd, Jr. North, Birmingham, to make application for state incentives available through the Alabama Enterprise Zone Program.
5. As a portion of the mid-year funding request, approved an Ordinance “to further amend the general fund budget” by appropriating $400,000.00 to Law Department – Attorney Fees and $500,000.00 to Law Department – Claims from Sales Tax.
6. As a portion of the mid-year funding request, approved an Ordinance “to further amend the general fund budget” by appropriating $1,100,000.00 to Personnel – Professional Fees – Medical for workmen’s compensation claims, from Sales Tax and Use Tax.
7. Placed on consent a Resolution authorizing the Mayor to execute an agreement with Zoom Motor Sports, LLC to host the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, and authorizing the granting of public funds and things of value in aid pursuant to Section 94.01 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901 (also known as Amendment 772 to the Alabama Constitution of 1901) as amended for a term of one (1) year in the amount of $300,000.00 for the 2013 event.
8. Placed on consent a Resolution authorizing the Mayor to execute an Incentive Agreement with Edwards Chevrolet Co., Inc. under which Edwards Chevrolet will remodel the interior and the facade of its downtown Birmingham facilities and retain its dealership within the City for ten years, and the City will provide incentives in an amount not to exceed a total of $1,200,000.00, payable in annual installments for up to seven (7) years from one-half (½) of the City’s sales tax revenue generated by Edwards Chevrolet after deducting the rebated portion.
9. Placed on consent, a Resolution approving the amendment to the agreement with Birmingham Regional Paratransit Consortium “ClasTran”, Birmingham, to increase the amount to be paid to ClasTran by $94,000.00, from $125,000.00 to $219,000.00, and authorizing the Mayor to execute the amendment.
10. Approved an Ordinance “to further amend the capital budget” by appropriating $73,314,510.42 from General Obligation Convertible Capital Appreciation Bonds, Series 2013-A, approved on April 2, 2013 for the following Improvement Categories: Economic Development ($9,048,573.83); Landfill Improvement ($6,301,038.42); Park Improvements ($10,325,410.44); Public Facilities and Equipment ($17,267,495.67); Storm Sewers ($4,106,850.35); and Street and Sidewalk Improvements ($26,265,141.71).
11. Approved an Ordinance authorizing the issuance, execution, sale and delivery of $2,000,000.00 principal amount General Obligation Warrant (Series 2013-RB1) of the City of Birmingham, Alabama and the payment thereof.
Announcements and Reminders:
1. The Planning and Zoning Committee met today, April 9, 2013, 4:00 p.m., 5th Floor Engineering Conference Room.
2. The Public Improvements and Beautification Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 4:00 p.m., Council Chambers.
3. The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 12:30 p.m., Conference Rooms D & E.
4. The Joint Public Safety and Technology Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 2:00 p.m., Council Chambers.
5. On behalf of the Birmingham City Council, Councilor Lashunda Scales will host an Economic Development Summit April 26-27, 2013 at the BJCC East Ballroom. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Lashunda Scales at 254.2349.
For more information, log onto www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org
From the website you can also connect with the Council via Facebook and Twitter.