Meetings, news, events, and updates from the Central City Neighborhood Association.
Info from http://birminghamalcitycouncil.org:
During the Birmingham City Council Meeting on Tuesday, April 23, 2013, Council:
1. Approved an Ordinance prohibiting bail bondsmen from soliciting business in or around the Birmingham City Jail and Birmingham Municipal Court, and further granting the presiding judge of the Birmingham Municipal Court the authority to establish certain policies or procedures to accomplish the purposes of the Ordinance. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Johnathan Austin at 254.2678.
2. Approved a Resolution opposing HB647 or any other State Legislative action to negate the City of Birmingham’s ownership interest regarding the assets, administration and the operation of the Birmingham Water Works System, and requesting that any such sponsors of any legislation affecting the City of Birmingham, first contact and dialogue with the local elected officials of the City of Birmingham as this is proper protocol and tradition. For more information, contact the office of Council President Roderick Royal at 254.2302.
3. Councilors are scheduled to meet with State Senator Jabo Waggoner in Montgomery on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, at 9:30 a.m., to discuss HB647.
4. Referred to the Committee of the Whole, Agenda Items 9 through 20. Each item is associated with a departmental mid-year budget request. For more information, contact the office of Council President Roderick Royal at 254.2302.
5. Adopted by unanimous consent a Resolution of support for the Bank on Birmingham Initiative. Bank on Birmingham is a collaborative effort between financial institutions, community organizations and advocacy groups to connect unbanked individuals to basic financial services. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Kimberly Rafferty at 254.2348.
6. Set a public hearing May 14, 2013 to consider the adoption of an Ordinance to regulate the operation of certain classes of liquor-licensed establishments to reduce nuisance and safety issues regarding security, crowd control, underage drinking, noise disturbances, and violence by requiring businesses to provide security plans, address underage drinking, and to maintain order in the establishment and on accessory premises where patrons park or congregate. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Johnathan Austin at 254.2678.
7. Set a public hearing May 21, 2013 to consider the adoption of an Ordinance to regulate the booting of vehicles and nonconsensual towing within the City of Birmingham. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Johnathan Austin at 254.2678.
8. Set a public hearing June 4, 2013 to consider the adoption of an Ordinance “to amend the Zoning District map of the City of Birmingham” (Case No. ZAC2013-00003) to change zone district boundaries from R-3 Single Family District to R-5 Multiple Dwelling District, filed by Rodney Beasley, representing the owner, Beasley Properties LLC, for property located at 2931 Avenue S, and situated in the SW¼ of Section 5, Township 18 South, Range 3 West, Birmingham. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Valerie Abbott at 254.2355.
Announcements and Reminders:
1. The Planning and Zoning Committee met today, April 23, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. in the 5th Floor Engineering Conference Room.
2. The Administration Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 2:00 p.m., Conference Rooms D & E.
3. The Committee of Whole is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 4:00 p.m., Conference Rooms D & E.
4. On behalf of the Birmingham City Council, Councilor Lashunda Scales will host an Economic Development Summit April 26-27, 2013 at the BJCC – East Exhibition Halls 2 & 3. On Friday, April 26, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. and on Saturday, April 27, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Free and open to the public, the Summit is designed to assist small business owners and persons wishing to start a business. For more information, contact the office of Councilor Lashunda Scales at 254.2349. Registration is not required. For a list of presenters, log on to http://www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org
5. Birmingham City Councilor Jay Roberson will host the 2nd round District 7 Clean Sweep on Sunday, April 28, 2013, 11:00 a.m., in the Germania Park Neighborhood, gathering at South Park Baptist Church.
6. The Transportation and Communication Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 12:30 p.m., Conference Room A.
7. The Joint Public Safety and Technology Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 2:00 p.m., Council Chambers.
8. Councilor Jay Roberson will host a re-enactment of the 1963 Children’s March on Thursday, May 2, 2013, 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., at 16th Street Baptist Church. Students from across the City of Birmingham will engage in various activities that commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement.
For more information, log onto http://www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org