Meetings, news, events, and updates from the Central City Neighborhood Association.
1. Call to Order @ 6:04 p.m.
Adoption of Agenda
Approval of June 21, 2016, Minutes – M.Perez moved to approve; P.Ballard 2nd (approval of May 17, 2016, Minutes tabled)
2. Open Reports
Public Works – Tammie Wheeler received concerns from residents: Ms. Wheeler handles complaints of overgrown yards and inoperable cars, but also takes other concerns. Report concerns to Public Works – 254-2061. 311 is available from 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and it sends concerns to correct department. Additional contact information for 311 will be posted on CCNA website. Resident expresses appreciation for complaints raised at last meeting being addressed promptly. Concerns raised this month: Red lights out at 6th Avenue N and 25th Street; Drainage issue at 17th Street and 6th Avenue
Birmingham Police Department – Officer Hicks received concerns and reported that it has been hot, and there have been concerns about drugs in parks. Captain has requested additional foot patrols in parks. BPD will stay more visible in parks to help people feel safe. No business or residential burglaries this month. 1 UBV reported. Concerns/Questions raised: Shooting in Linn Park around lunch time was a false report; movie was being filmed. Drug/alcohol use and loitering in Marconi Park. Motorcycle racing around 1st and 2nd Avenue North.
CAP Officers – Tim Motley and Douglas Stewart: Increased number of panhandlers; they are migrating north. CAP can now trespass panhandlers from properties; permission forms are available on website. Theresa Thorne is retiring, and Board of Directors for CAP is starting a search for new Executive Director.
Birmingham Public Library – Karyn Davis: Provided handouts regarding upcoming programs/events at BPL
Election/Candidate Presentations – CCNA Neighborhood Election Speaker: Richard G. Burton
3. CCNA Funds: Funds Balance: $11,401.07 (Source: CRO Officers Michael Shine & Greg Jones 11-17-15.) – 30th Annual MLK Unity Breakfast $240.00 (Table of 8 Attendees) Monday, January 18, 2016, @ BJCC North Meeting Hall; 19th Annual Family Fishing Rodeo at East Lake Park, Saturday, June 4, 2016, $150.00 (To support event) = Current Balance: $11,011.07
4. Old Business: CAP (City Action Partnership) – Open discussion of possible service expansion into loft district . . .
5. New Business: Beer/Wine License Vote – “Jazzys on 1st” Jazzys a Blues and Soul Food Bar/Restaurant featuring live music with lunch/dinner etc. Location: 2215 1st Ave N (old Krewe location, next to M Lounge) Speaker: Jeff Square and Dandre Steele
M.Perez moved to approve Beer/Wine License; C.Jones 2nd; Motion passed – 13 – yes, 0 – no, 0 – abstain
6. Announcements: City has emphasized use of 311. Check CCNA website for contact information.
BPD National Night Out is August 2 from 6-9 p.m.
Hands on Birmingham is having a volunteer day on July 30 to clean up schools for when school starts back in August. Goal: Have a volunteer crew at all 43 schools in the city of Birmingham.
2016 CCNA meeting dates and locations:
August 16, 2016 – Linn-Henley Library, Richard Arrington, Jr. Auditorium
September 20, 2016 – Linn-Henley Library, Richard Arrington, Jr. Auditorium
October 18, 2016 – Linn-Henley Library, Richard Arrington, Jr. Auditorium
November 15, 2016 – Linn-Henley Library, Richard Arrington, Jr. Auditorium
All meetings start at 6:00 p.m.
See: http://www.birminghamccna.com for more information
*Reminder: Neighborhood Social @ Tavern on 1st, following the meeting!
7. Adjourn @ 7:00 p.m.
s/ Summer Austin Wells
Summer Austin Wells, Secretary